In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate
Al-Quran (30:30)

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
[Al-Imran 3:8] "[Who say], "Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower."


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Haya: what it means to have haya- the Greatness of Allah (swt)




As a muslim, the topic of Haya really intrigues me. Haya is an evolution within that takes place with the partnership of iman. One can not truly have iman without haya. In order for one to be a true believer they must first and foremost recognize the greatness of Allah (swt). Thats the difference between Islam and any other religion. Allah (swt) does not need us, we need him. so if one knows the greatness of Allah (swt) they have haya. Because, how is it possible that we can transgress against Allah (swt) while eating and using his provisions. Indeed we have no shame and are ungrateful.

When I was coming into the folds of Islam it took me awhile to come in terms with wearing the veil...why? I have no idea. It was not because I was against it. At that phase i just felt that submittance was something that evolved from within not exterior. The more knowledge I gained, the more my iman grew and soon after I felt inclined to put on hijab. It was simply a manifestation of my iman and that is what haya exactly is a manifestation of iman.

I did not give thought to any tribulations that I would face soon after. It was not even a factor to me. It was something I felt I had to do, I could not imagine otherwise. I knew that if I strive to please Allah (swt) he will never degrade or abandon me. Praise be to Allah (swt) for my transition and tribulations was easy. In fact my first hijab was given to me by my mother :)

I remember thinking, “they don't make the sun rise so I am not afraid of them." It is such a childish deduction but that is simply what I perceived as great then. At the same time its such an amazing thing, because we are so arrogant yet we can not order our body not to need rest or not to eat or command the skies to fall into night or day. We are so helpless sA what a concept.