In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate
Al-Quran (30:30)

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
[Al-Imran 3:8] "[Who say], "Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower."


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Walk and the Squirrel

"Allah the Almighty has said: 'O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me, and hope in Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds in the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I shall forgive you..." [Al-Tirmidhi]


We walk because we have to and is a means to transport ourselves from place to place. We bike, we walk, we run, we drive and in all of these activities we need our legs. What a blessing it is to have the ability to walk and have legs that function properly yet what lessons can one derive from the simple act of involuntary walking. Alhamdulilah waAllah Akbar !

The transience of this life is like walking. With each step, time is gone and the closer we are to our destination. A couple of days ago while walking to the masjid, I almost stepped on a dead squirrel. The squirrel was decomposing but it resembled its ground, the dirt. It provoked thought in me, how I too will be nothing but dirt someday. I felt so insignificant and humbled. Subhana'Allah, even this decomposing squirrel is a sign from Allah (swt) [2:28] "How can you disbelieve in Allah when you were lifeless and He brought you to life; then He will cause you to die, then He will bring you [back] to life, and then to Him you will be returned."

For the rest of the evening I felt so melancholic because I am so scared of departing this earth in my state. I fear for all that I will be held accountable on the Day of Judgment. I fear to be exposed and humiliated and discover I was a hypocrite all along. I cannot bear to think about it, I wish I never existed. I honestly can’t understand what I am doing busying myself in things that won’t even matter then [23:101]. Why do I waste so much energy on trying to acquire things, statuses, labels that are so useless in protecting me from what awaits everyone! [3:185]

It’s easy to lose perspective and go to either extreme but a true believer should have have hope and fear. Our prophet (peace be upon him) is the best example to follow. The mercy of Allah (swt) is everywhere even in the lucid breeze that brushes one as it passes by therefore we should always be grateful [7:144] “… So take what I have given you and be among the grateful."

May Allah (swt) guide and protect us and forgive us our transgressions Ameen.

[39:53] "Say: O my slaves who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins). Do not despair of the Mercy of Allah: verily Allah forgives all sins. He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

[15:99] "And worship your Lord until there comes to you the certainty [i.e. death]