In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate
Al-Quran (30:30)

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
[Al-Imran 3:8] "[Who say], "Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower."


Monday, July 12, 2010

To be or not to be Optimistic?

Three nights ago I dreamt that my mother was doing Salah with me and several nights ago prior to this dream, dreamed my father doing salah as well. The dream with my father was different though, I especially remember observing him make long sujuds (prostrations) and raising his arms up to the skies crying to Allah (swt). I remember thinking (in that dream), “He is not praying correctly...”and wanted to go and correct him but somebody in my dream (whom I don’t remember) told me to leave him alone and I did (must be shaytan that wanted him to continue this biddah lol).

I want to believe that these dreams have some significance. I assume it’s my psyche and my strong desire for my parents to be Muslim that causes me to even dream it. I mean what can I do? All I can do is just convey the message but sometimes I just get so depressed. sA I can’t help it. The fact the most beloved people to me in this world are non-muslim sA is very depressing . I fear that If I survive them I will forever have the image of their "end"(if they died in another state other than Islam) ingrained in my mind forever INSHA’ALLAH that wont be the case! INSHA'ALLAH!!

So Apparently, my wittle (little) nephew is taking catechism. He approached me yesterday with a concerned tone, “Yasmine, some people are saying that Jesus is Lord and God!” I wanted to laugh so hard but stood silent to see how he responded to it. He repeated it again with a more certain tone, “Jesus is not God huh? Senor Patrick once showed me this movie of Diosito (God) dying on the cross.” I replied to him “Well, you tell me who is more powerful us or God? Can we kill him? Is God like us? Does he eat and go to the restroom? Because if he is not more powerful then who are people going to pray to? ” He replied, “no God is more powerful, this lady once came to my house and told my mom that God gave her life because she was dying (He was referring to those people who knock on people's door-Jehovah witnesses).”

At this point I began to record our little conversation on my phone because I honestly could not believe he was talking in such a manner. I told him Jesus is a prophet who is a man who called for people to believe in God and was a Muslim like me. I explained that when he got older he would understand what a prophet is. So I asked him again, “Who is more powerful humans or God,” he said, “You did not mention the devil because God is more powerful than humans and the devil.”

Mind you he is only seven years old; I only try to engage him. I never try to initiate or impose my beliefs on him. I am just so amazed by the fitrah of a young child. I have become a bit more careful of what I allow them (nieces and nephew) to do with me. Before when I used to pray in front of them they would join me and when they went home to their parents, would continue to do those acts. Their parents complained to my parents so I don’t really want any repercussions because of this. One day insha’Allah I hope they remember this. The fact kids naturally incline to Islam are indeed signs that Islam is the truth. :)

As child I was very inquisitive and deeply rooted in religion (Catholicism) because of my upbringing and my mother. I even recall building a little shrine in my bedroom but did not know why I did. I have recollections of confronting my mother about who was God, Jesus and Mary. I remember taking turns on praying to each one of them (because according to my own logic they were separate.) Whenever I felt I was praying too much to one I would switch because I was afraid “their” feelings would get hurt (astagfur’Allah :-/ ).

As I got older the more I studied and began to inquire the priest at my local parish, teachers, friends and myself! It was during this time I began to abandon the worship of Mary (praying the rosary) because I found out it was not permissible and "idolatry" but again I had no idea who Jesus was or the extent of what that really meant. I somehow thought that Jesus was just someone God appointed for us to worship and deliver the message to us to believe in God Almighty. sA its incredible how my beliefs prior to Islam were all based on conjecture that was acquired from my theology teachings. So I was not the only one.

At one point, I even considered to become a sister determined that I would be closer to “God” if I reserved myself only for God( really stupid concept indeed). I never stop asking God to help me find truth and here I am a...

... Muslim Alhamdulilah!! So yes I am happy to be Muslim. How can I not be thankful , hopeful and optimistic?! I might come off as too optimistic but in reality I am more of the practical type on the verge of pessimism. Its when I contemplate on the ayat of Allah (swt) that I find hope all around me. Indeed we are surrounded by signs of our Creator.

May my family's embrace Islam in all sincerity and may we be amongst the righteous whom establish salah and whom place their trust in their creator. Ameen!