In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate
Al-Quran (30:30)

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
[Al-Imran 3:8] "[Who say], "Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower."


Saturday, July 17, 2010

"You're Muslim ehh?"

Yesterday after Jumuah, I went to work and seeing that it was laid back at my workplace and feeling “Islamically pumped up,” I decided I would also do Asr at the masjid. When the time approached, I asked my boss if could go for asr prayer at the Masjid. He turned around and asked, “You’re muslim ehh??” To that I replied, “ummm yeah Kevin (fake name) I am… umm… I thought this (pointed at my hijab) sort of gave that away (and chuckled). ”

Apparently my abaya, hijab, AND the fact I don’t consume pork and alcohol (co-worker dinner) would be self-explanatory but maybe it’s not LOL. I knew he knew I that I was Muslim. He could have not possibly dismissed and overlooked when I would step out to pray, how I interact and how I dress but I figured perhaps he just wanted to discuss it. Indeed that was the reason, he asked me how was it that I was Muslim and whether there was more Mexican Muslims like me and said we were "exotic.(not sure if he meant to use another word but thats what he said)" Wow that’s NEW… Like nice attractive exotic or weird exotic? lol

We talked for a bit and I had to halt the discourse because I had to leave to the masjid. When I arrived back to work, I was surprised to find him there waiting for me. I tried not to initiate the conversation again because I wanted to see whether he was genuinely interested and would bring it up again himself. I was not mistaken and we picked up the conversation where it had paused. I did not hold anything back. I told him how I came to Islam, my trials as a Muslim(with society) and how I perceive this life as a Muslimah. (surprisingly he did not ask me about my hijab).

I watched him listen attentively, Masha’Allah it was a very heartfelt discourse. He did not approach my conversation with the usual biased baggage people usually do. So it was a bit different this time. He then told me, “I like to consider myself a bit like you, I am not superficial.” Our conversation ended there. I wonder what he meant by that or maybe that was the best he could convey something deeper he felt Allah (swt) knows best. I cherish moments like these... pure humanity! Alhamdulilah