In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate
Al-Quran (30:30)

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
[Al-Imran 3:8] "[Who say], "Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower."


Monday, July 4, 2011

The "Easy" Life...


[2:45] "And seek help through patience and prayer, 
and indeed, it is difficult except for the humbly submissive [to Allah ]"

Islam is supposed to make life easy because it simplifies it. It might be difficult for one to understand how exactly it is so when it seems like the whole world is working against it and every aspect of a Muslim’s life from finding a job to finding a righteous spouse is difficult.

Indeed it maybe a trial as it was for those before us but it can also be an effect from our own doing. For example, if Muslim sisters keep on taking off hijab for fear of the stigma, they are doing a disservice to the other women who wear hijab. When they comply with the force against hijabs they perpetuate the thinking against hijab and thus make it difficult for the rest of us. The longer I wear hijab the more my family and non-Muslim friends becomes accustomed to it and I believe it builds better and real relations with people rather than relations based on superficiality. Hijab is not just the covering of the hair. It is modesty (haya) that transcends through character and a display of the manifestation of faith that one has within their heart. Muslim men are also to ascribe to this modestly (haya) but their dress is different not necessarily less restrictive, just different because they are different, they are men.

I did not come into Islam thinking that life would make my life easier. That’s the difference between Islam and other religions. We don’t sale our Deen (religion) on a false belief that life is going to be "easier." It’s going to be difficult but that is dependant on their iman (faith).

Once when I was traveling on the Amtrak from home I sat next to a woman and we converse throughout the journey. She did not know I was revert and I did not want to disclose that matter until later.. She inquired on what I was reading (The Soul byIbh Qayim Al-Jawziyah which sparked the conversation) and from then on a flood of inquiries about Islam came. When I disclosed that I was a revert she was curious to know how my life had changed. I told her my life became simple but not less difficult if anything it became more difficult not as a result from Islam but people, society. I tried to help her understand that my ultimate purpose of this life is far greater than what this world can offer me and nothing can equate to the peace that I have in my heart and that to me its worth everything I deal with as this life is temporary anyways. 

It was interesting because she added that perhaps because my life was “simpler” it was “easier.” I would not have to worry about unnecessary consequences that accompanies a life of "sin." This is TRUE and I never thought of it that way. May Allah guide her Ameen. I am glad I met her and was offered that introspect. "Everything happens for a reason and it was meant for us to meet," she said. What a delightful woman.

If a trial or calamity befalls a Muslim it should serve as a reminder of the realities of this world and this realization should bring peace to one as our ultimate goal in life is not from this life but the next. 

How can we place our hopes on something that is transient and can not be guaranteed forever?!  [18: 38-45] 

My life is not difficult and its not easy either but my ultimate goal adjusts my focus and blurs the difficulties that I confront from day to day. Often times I feel "fed up" and feel like it will never end and while there is some truth to the fact that it probably will never end until I expire from this world its okay...and I can easily shrug off "stupid stuff."


[23:11] "Indeed, I have rewarded them this Day for their patient endurance - that they are the attainers [of success]."