In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate
Al-Quran (30:30)

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
[Al-Imran 3:8] "[Who say], "Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower."


Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Awkwardness during the "season" and the state of weaklings in our ummah

There is nothing more that I desire right now in this world than for my parents to accept Islam.  Now that the “holiday season” has arrived its very difficult for me to remain hopeful as I see the devotion my whole family puts into the “holidays.” Indeed it’s nice as family gets together and spend time. Why would she ever give that up?

When I became Muslim, I expressed to my mother that I would not partake in the holidays. I would be present obviously but that I would not partake in any aspect of it, no gifts for me or from me to them ( I buy them Eid gifts instead), no decorating, no prayer and no greetings. I would spend time with family Regardless if there was no holiday and I had a “break”.

When holidays come into play, it becomes very awkward for me. This year I thought that I would go to a Islamic seminar in southern California on December 25th. I told my mother about it and she seemed saddened but “understood.”  It broke my heart because she told me that she did not expect me to “participate” but she wanted me to be there to spend time with family. I felt like such a inconsiderate and bad daughter.
I told her that it was convenient for me to go on to this seminar on this day as I really did not want to celebrate Christmas  by being present and that it hurts me to see them worship Jesus as God/son of God.  She chuckled and asked me why would that hurt me as that everyone is entitled to believe what they want. I told her I really did not care for the rest but I cared about her as I don’t want her to die with that belief and go to hell.  She had a look on her face that made me want to beat myself up and claw my eyes out… seriously.  The remained of that night just her and I sat and talked about something else as I changed the topic quickly and then she sat with us (daughters) and watched a movie. The entire time I felt like crap.

There are times that I feel so hopeless but I don’t want to feel hopeless because she is my mother and I love my parents so much. I try my hardest to be the best example as I can.  Alhamdulillah I have mended the relations with my aunts and I try to get closer to them. I sometimes I feel as if they are afraid to say anything to me as I used to get so upset and few times a commotion has arisen from them which is NOT GOOD. I really hope they are not afraid of me as being the fire cracker I used to be. I really hate that about myself. I just cannot stand when people insult Islam. I can stand people insulting me, no problem. My brother as well is very kind to me now.  This time when I went home we all had a family day and watched movies together. It was so nice. I loved it.  Don’t know why they are all so nice to me nowadays… hmmm.

This brings me to another point I wanted to make. Recently I heard a lecture of an imam that said that its “Islamic” and “merciful” to give holiday greeting to non-Muslims especially family because if we expect them to greet us that apparently we should too! I was like “SAY WHAT?!!” I COULD NOT BELIEVE HE JUST SAID THAT. I cannot believe these Muslim clerics go and just give their opinion without looking at the consequences. What the heck does he know?! He apparently is again participating and celebrating “their” holidays but yet he wants us to go around greeting them. Okay?!

FIRST GREETING THEM IS ACCEPTING THEIR HOLIDAY AS VALID aka acceptable. If you are a Muslim this is SHIRK.
SECOND,  I AM IN NO NEED TO COMPROMISE ESPECIALLY MY RELIGION. I DON’T NEED THEIR APPROVAL FOR THE TRUTH! Reminds me of the meccans tried to reach a compromise with our Prophet (sallahu allayhi wa salam). That they would abide by islam if he would abide by their religion.  I guess the imam forgot that IMPORTANT PART that occurred in our Islamic history. Never mind that huh? Not important apparently (sarcasm intended)
THIRD, the most Islamic and merciful thing I can do to my loved ones and family is to invite them to Islam. Why would I “approve” their shirk holidays in order to show how merciful I am?!  That is so ridiculous that I cannot even begin to articulate how unislamic that is.  Tell me how this sounds “HEY MOTHER, HAPPY CHRISTMAS, THE DAY YOUR “LORD” WAS BORN. LETS CELEBRATE. OH BY THE WAY Islam is the truth FYI I invite you to Islam”
FOURTH, why are Muslims so desperate to find any fatwah to make it permissible to celebrate non-Muslim holidays? Do we have no dignity? I say, if a “muslim” really wants to celebrate those holidays, just leave Islam! Then one can do what they want without feeling “bad.” I usually say “it’s better to be a sinning Muslim than not a Muslim at all.” 

We all sin but acknowledging something is is sinful and having  no intentions to abandon it,  how that even being a Muslim (one who submits). If one wants to feel better about a sin there is no Islamic reason to try to justify it.  To some extent that saying holds some significance.

 Trying to make things APPEAR permissible does not take away from the sin. If anything it might even magnify it as it can be shirk and even kufr.  In the process of trying to make things appear acceptable, they misguide other weak Muslims and conclude with having a weak ummah that compromise their religion and bring our destruction that you see today. Clearly this is why we have not attained victory and are the most humiliated of people.

 If one wants to do something just do it. There is no need to try to bend oneself to make it permissible. JUST OWN IT PEOPLE. Just own your wrong and your desires. No need to justify it or make it permissible when it’s not (this is SHIRKH AND KUFR: trying to make things not permissible, permissible). I would be very cautious in making things permissible. Nowadays these “cool,” “all-american” imams want to appease to everyone even compromising Islam and making things permissible that are not and misguiding others. Imagine all the sins they will have upon themselves on the DAY OF JUDGEMENT.

Only and individual that does not believe on the Day of Judgment would dismiss that reality and do such a thing. Only people that believe on the Day of Judgment are merciful!

So owning the sin and just leaving it as it is is better for one than trying to encapsulate it with makrooh or even permissible. So in this instance, “being a sinful Muslim is better than not being a Muslim at all” is what I understand to be true in this case.  I rather just accept the sin and try to repent from it rather than trying to modify things to not make it sinful. Everyone sins its okay but own it and repent y’all.

It really makes no sense when muslims try to justify the celebrating of these holidays. If one has a muslim family, why even celebrate or commorate these holidays? Why even entertain the thought of it? I see absolutely no reason to. The fact that one would want to when they have a Muslim family (not reverts or not alone in their Islam) reveals their weakness of being a follower and the state of their iman. If they were in another country that for example did not celebrate thanksgiving would they celebrate it?

Their argument is that thanksgiving is merely a "custom" (aada) with no religious connotation which is far from reality. In Shariah things are looked upon in terms of reality and not how we want it to appear as. Thanksgiving for example is specific to non-Muslims, so it would fall under the hadith of the prophet (sallahu allayhi wa salam) "The one who imitates a people is from them." Ibn Tayimiyah mentions that imitating them, the kuffa is necessitated by following those things that are specific to them and their culture/history/religion, he says, "Muslims resembling them in their celebrations leads to them (the kuffar) being happy with their falsehood that they are upon"

Ibn Qatum states that congratualting them in their holidays (specific to them) is HARAM by consensus of the ulama. What more proof do you need other than logical Islamic sense? I don't know maybe ISLAM?!