In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate
Al-Quran (30:30)

So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ذَلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ
[Al-Imran 3:8] "[Who say], "Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower."


Sunday, September 16, 2012

Boredom and its consequences

Ramadan left a sweet memory that I have been striving to re-experience with consistency and love.  I loved the melody of silence in my heart and mind. I loved the stillness of time when fasting. I loved the echo of my heart in my duas (supplications) and the intimacy of the night while in prayer. It was such a beautiful feeling I have never felt before in my life. I would hate if I never experience it again and it was my only time I will ever have such a personal Ramadan. I don’t know what awaits me in the next year or if I will exist on this earth then!

Unfortunately, I feel noise slowly introducing itself to my peace which has had an impact on my khushoo and subsequently my life. I feels the effects of it physically, on my emotions and mental clarity. I have been thinking much of my time and trying to preoccupy myself with things that DO concern me and benefit me.

The Key I have found out is to AVOID being "BORED." The other day I was “bored” and “googled” something that apparently is the new trend that I did not know much about. I had not checked it out sooner as I honestly did not have the time to care enough to remember to. It ended up costing me 3 days of unproductivity! The lack of peace in my mind due to a mass collection of things that DO NOT concern me caused my  khushoo and the quality of my salah to suffer.  My sleep obviously was affected and my fajr prayer became poor.  The guilt made me depressed and I soon embarked a horrible cycle of guilt, unproductivity, low iman, depression and boredom!

Its only now that before I go to bed that I began to reflect that I know how to stop this cycle. That is to busy oneself with things that DO concern one and AVOID BOREDOM! NO ONE can afford to be bored!

HOW can I be bored?! Only a Kafir gets bored, only one who does not believe in the last day gets bored. Only one who does not want jannah gets bored! Subhana’Allah. Often times we confuse relaxation with entailing the wasting of time. Once we allow our minds to become idle, that is to be filled with things that DO NOT concern us, it is then we open the doors to Shaytan, our destruction.  What concerns us is Islam! What concerns us is how to earn Jannah and please our Creator! Everything is so trivial and such an easy trial to surmount if we were and are objective of our purpose!